Sunday, February 6, 2011

Trip to the E.R. (and it's not who you thought it would be)

At 4:45 this afternoon I got Simon out of his crib so we could leave for the Super Bowl party that started at 4:30 (oops). He felt really, really hot. He had a fever this morning and we gave him Tylenol. He took an extra long nap and then afterwards felt really, really hot.

We took his temperature, under his arm, and it was 103.something which means his internal temperature was even higher. I called the nurse from the Embassy (we've talked a lot this weekend!) and she said teething doesn't usually cause such high fevers (I was thinking it's just teething because all his symptoms are the same as teething symptoms) but to try Tylenol again and to call the Dr. on his cell if it doesn't go down.

40-ish minutes later we took his temperature again and it had gone up! I couldn't get a hold of the Dr. so I left a message, and called the nurse back who recommended I take him to the E.R.

I arrived at CIMA (great private hospital about 10-15 minutes from our house, depending on traffic (up to 30 minutes) or how I drive) and brought him to the E.R. registration. I waited about two minutes, which felt like an eternity, registered, which took about twenty seconds, and was called back in another two minutes. Simon's temp and weight were taken and we were shown to a room. The Dr came in about two minutes later, asked some questions, did a quick exam and said there was swelling in his left ear and throat as well as some white plaque in his throat, diagnosis: infection. She gave me a Rx for the infection, and a pain relief spray for his throat. She also said to continue the Tylenol for pain and fever. I went to the Pharmacy, got his medicine and came home. Total time in the Hospital: approx. 30 minutes, Total Cost: approx $130. I LOVE private medical care and cost in Costa Rica.

We came home, gave him medicine and a bottle and put him in bed. He gave his kangaroo an extra big hug, and barely made a sound when I left.We'll check on him through the night to make sure he's ok, and pray the fever breaks.

I'm going to shower and go to bed.This weekend has been a bit exhausting. Tomorrow morning we'll call the Neurologist and try to get in as soon as possible.


Nomads By Nature said...

Oh, dear. Your family has taken a hit. Hoping the meds work and the little one is back to running around very soon.

Kristen said...

Poor baby! You and Simon that is :) Who was it that said "When it rains it pours". My goodness, what a crazy couple of days for you! Still sending prayers your way!

Becky said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry that you have had to deal with all of this over one weekend. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope the meeting goes well tomorrow and you can get the seizure stuff figured out.

Just US said...

You need a vacation - just to catch up on some sleep! Hope Simon heals quickly and life gets back to normal soon!