Thursday, December 2, 2010

Beach

I'm at the beach right now. The sun has set and I'm sitting on the deck of the second floor condo that we rented with John's brother and his family. I can hear the ocean and we're grilling tilapia, we've also prepared some fresh guacamole to go with our fish for dinner.

Sounds heavenly, doesn't it? It is!

The theme this week for the State Department Roundup is: I've never eaten that before!

Unfortunately the most exciting answer I can think of is Costa Rican peanuts and vegetables. Camote, and ayote are vegetables that we don't have in the States. Camote is similar to a sweet potato, but it's purple on the outside  and white on the inside. It's also a little stringy. I'm not a huge fan, but it's not too bad.

Ayote is a green vegetable, my maid makes it with garlic and onion and serves it to Simon who really likes it. I can't think of anything to compare it too, except maybe a potato, but different.

Costa Rican peanuts are just like peanuts. So of course I like them.

My answer seems so boring to this question, but living in Central America (having moved from Texas) doesn't give too many opportunities for new or strange food.

I can't wait to read some stories about what people have eaten in Asia and Africa!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Thanks for the submission! The tilapia and fresh guacamole sound yummy!

Connie said...

Your post is not boring... I could read that first paragraph over and over and over... :) and I prefer to try new plant items over odd animal bits any day!