Monday, June 29, 2009

Yet another

Malachi had another seizure today. This is his third seizure, but it's the first I witnessed. It was not an easy experience. It was full of contradictions. It was the shortest seizure yet, but it was the longest recovery time. He gasped for air during it but wasn't turning colors, his eyes were open but I'm not convinced he could see anything. He had a very hard time waking up, and wouldn't open his eyes to look at me, so I called 911. Six EMT's came out - but four of them left after they say that Malachi was mostly allright. They checked his O2 sats (the amount of oxygen running through your blood), and heart rate and they both checked out fine. Even getting the little band-aid like thing around his finger was an ordeal and since he was fine by the time then and his stats were good I decided not to take him to the hospital. The EMT and I I agreed that keeping him calm and stress free was our main objective and taking him to the hospital would bring the opposite results. By the time they left he was shy, but mostly normal.

Shortly after they left he asked to watch TV, I was reluctant to do that since he was watching TV when it started. But I relented, and shortly after he started watching he started eating his lunch again (also something he was doing when it started). After eating the rest of his sandwhich and some of his chips he was done. When I told him it was time for a nap he asked for his clothes back on (they came off to help him cool after the seizure) and then he ran to his room and onto his bed. This is not normal, not normal at all. However at that time, it was the most abnormal he was and I didn't think it was a bad thing, so I let it slide. I certainly wasn't going to make him rebel. :)

Since he got up from his nap he's been normal, but every time he loses his balance, or I can't here him, or anything weird happens, I think he's going to seize again. Please pray for him and for us. I don't want to live my life in fear - and that is definitely a road I'm heading down.

So much good is happening in our lives that this feels so bad. If it wasn't for John's new job or our pregnancy maybe this wouldn't seem so bad - and I know there are kids with much worse problems, but this is going to kill me. Watching the seizure this time is the hardest thing I've experienced with him. Praise God he doesn't remember it.

John asked him if something happened today and he said he was watching TV and fell down (true) and then mommy picked him up (also true, but I think he means the time after his seizure). So he doesn't remember the seizure. Thank you Lord!

Please also pray that we get some answers at his appointment next week. His EEG is scheduled for next Tuesday at 8:30. I can't let him sleep for more than four or five hours the night before and he can't sleep on the way to the appointment. My poor baby.

Otherwise - life is good. :)

No comments: