Sunday, August 29, 2010

Oh the Fun...

...of living in a developing country.

On Thursday our internet went out. John (using his far superior Spanish) figured out it was cut out by Amnet. He then called them - using their English line - and found out it was because our debit card expired and they didn't have the new exp date. So...instead of calling us to inform us that our billing wasn't working and giving us a warning. They cut us off. Nice.

John gave them our new exp date and was told it would be on in 24 - 48 hours. But for someone who's filling out Security Clearance stuff online and someone else who uses World of Warcraft as a stress reliever, not having internet for any amount of time sucks. SUCKS!

So after I couldn't get a hold of a friend because he phone was cut off just like my internet, John called Amnet Friday evening to check on the status. Apparently the guy who John talked to on Thursday night didn't do anything. Here are your options: 1. wait until Monday when someone who can process debit cards comes in (REALLY?! You're the biggest internet provider in Costa Rica and you don't have an easy way for all employees to do this?!). 2. Go to a bank to pay the bill and then call them for service activation. 3. Go to a Fischell pharmacy and pay the bill and then call them. Fine. We'll to option #3 because we can't go a whole weekend with out internet!

So yesterday on the way home from a day in San Jose with some friends on a guided tour - a whole other story - of the historic part of San Jose we stop at the Fischell on the way home. John doesn't have the customer number. No worries, they should be able to check by phone number. They can't find it under our phone number - that's not right. No phone number? Well they should be able to look it up by name. They don't believe his last name is what it is (it's a first name, but still!!). ARGH! #$%&*&^ %$#@#$$%^&** &^%$#@Q!#$%^&***&^%$$ #@!#@$%^^

I've entered the homesickness portion of my tour - I know it. :)

So I haven't worked on my security clearance stuff since Thursday night and I have a TON left to do. John played WoW last night and is most likely on right now. I've been online for almost two hours this morning catching up on blogs (because I fell asleep last night trying to)...


(Three and a half hours later) I heard Simon playing with a toy and had to run to him. He's so cute! I then went to the gym, fed Simon while John napped, made French Toast for Malachi and I while John napped, and worked a little bit on my Security Clearance while John napped. John only napped for about an hour and a half, but it was productive for me, and he was so touched that I offered to let him do that.

So...now I'll work more on the Security Clearance, and after that who knows. I do know that tonight I'm watching the Emmy's! I'm excited!!

5 comments:

Jill said...

Oh yes ... the cut internet thing. Five years of it ... I totally feel your pain!

Sara said...

And now you live in CA. I'm. So. Jealous.

Linsey said...

Ah, the joys of Foreign Service life. Everything is so much more complicated than it should be.

S said...

We've been told they won't send us something or call us or whatever until we haven't paid for 3 months...hopefully they don't just cut us off...though we did just switch from Amnet to Claro due to other issues with Amnet.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? said...

we STILL don't have internet, and it's a pain.... we're @ a resort/condo in cabarete this weekend with free WiFi, so, as you can tell, i'm abusing it.

we *should* have internet next week, but as i'm sure it's the same in costa rica, dominicans are a little slower (to put it nicely) in getting sh*t done.

hope y'all are well.... we've been thinking about y'all!