Friday, May 7, 2010

Huh

I didn't realize it had been so long since I'd blogged. I really thought it had been a day or two tops.

John's going to be gone until about 11:30 tonight for work. It's the new President's inauguration tomorrow and there are some higher ups coming from the US (no one I know - don't get excited). So he's going to the hotel they're staying at to be there in case they need him. So from what I understand, he's going to sit in a room for 10 hours and do nothing. And because of all that's going on they're not conducting visa interviews this morning. So...before he goes to the hotel to spend 10 hours doing nothing he's going to spend five hours at his desk doing nothing. I wonder why they didn't let him stay home until he had to go to the hotel. They would've had to pay him overtime for five fewer hours. Oh well.

We've had a boring week. I don't know about other FS wives/moms, but I really think that my honeymoon period here lasted about one night. This week has pretty much been normal. I've realized that no matter what country I live in, I'm the same person. I don't know why I thought I'd be different, but I did. But nope, I'm still just the same ol' boring me. Poor kids.

This house we live in is huge! It's so much work to take care of! I should really clean the floors every day, but I've only done the bottom floor once this week, and the top not at all. I really need to get better at that.I haven't had to clean a house in so long that I'm having a hard time getting back into it. Hopefully next week John can start calling people for me, since I can't speak Spanish, who we can interview for maid work. I can't wait to have someone here to help out!

Still no word on the job at the Embassy - not even a call for the interview. I guess it takes a while to see if I'm even eligible for the job (I am).

John and Malachi planted the top of a pineapple last night. We probably won't get any fruit from it, but it's supposed to be really pretty as it's growing. The next family that lives here will have some nice pineapple though.

I have a flickr account with some photos on it. I'll put a link on the side bar so people can see what's going on here. There are only a few pictures so far because I can't dump a bunch of pictures onto our netbook. Our computer should be here in 2-3 weeks (the HHE is in country!!! It got here on Monday!!!), so then I can start uploading more pictures. I have pictures on a few different memory cards, so I'm going to have to organize it all. Bleh.

So, I guess I'm in a down mood right now. You can probably tell. I'm not always like this. I promise.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Friday, and it’s the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup’s Three Month Blogiversary - and you're on it!

Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/azzT3n

(If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

Thanks!

_____________________________

Sorry it's a tough time. Hope things look up soon!

Sending you great "finding domestic help" vibes!

Anonymous said...

Things will get better and busier. My first few nights at my post in Ethiopia I just cried from bordem and no one to talk to. This was before skype! Be encouraged I will be praying for you!

Kristen said...

Hi, I just found your blog today via the roundup! I'm excited to follow your adventures and I will be praying for you and your family during this transition time!! Our first post will be to Armenia in January, so I can only imagine the range of emotions I will be going through as well. I'm hoping to glean a lot of wisdom from all of you who are "going before" me! Take care and Blessings on your family!!

S said...

My mood has been up and down since we've been here too. I don't think there's any way you can prepare yourself for the challenges of being an FS wife.

I have also applied for a job at the embassy so that I will have something to fill my time. I took the spanish test today, but unless I get a 3, it sounds like they won't even consider me (and there was only one other applicant who is not in country yet and the person currently holding the position leaves this month - I guess they are willing to go without).

The choices they make about who works when is crazy...basically it seems, low man on the totem pole goes to everything and works everything extra or that no one else wants to do.

So the whole pineapple thing...did you plant it in the ground or in a pot? It sounds like fun - even if you never get fruit from it!

Sorry for the long comment. :)

John said...

Hey! I didn't "do nothing" at work OR at the hotel. I was actually fairly busy at work yesterday and even slipped down to the cocktail party last night.

Jen said...

Good luck with the job application!