Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sick Kids

Last week on Wednesday or Thursday Simon started coughing. It didn't get too bad, and I just thought it was his teething. He's been teething his canine and I teeth for quite some time now. I thought with the presence of the cold that meant that he was finally going to break through the gums. But the cold got worse and the teeth weren't breaking.

Then Coen started coughing. Over the weekend they both got pretty bad, so yesterday with the advice of the Embassy nurse (whom I love and is amazing - I'm going to miss her) I called the Pediatrician. He had us go to the office yesterday, late morning. While we were sitting in his office, he heard Simon cough (it had turned into a high squeaky cough) and looked very concerned. He listened to his chest and told me that while he can't call Simon an asthmatic, the cough sounded like an asthmatic cough.

He said that some people can have a bacteria in them that predisposes them to asthma and allergies. Since John had asthma as a child and now has allergies we could assume he has that bacteria and that the kids could get it. That explains Malachi's allergies. And that explains the boys' coughs. The Dr. said that the coughs probably started out as a regular cold and then got worse. He ordered some medicines to be delivered to the house. We got them in the afternoon and the kids started their three medicines.

Today they're a bit better, but I still feel like we have a long road ahead of us for recovery. The Dr. also said that what they have is very contagious and he expects the whole family will have it. Awesome. I just put Simon down for a nap at 8:30 this morning because he woke up at 5:30. I've been up since 4:00 because of Coen, and I'm super tired. We'll see how this day goes.

2 comments:

Nomads By Nature said...

Hang in there and sleep every chance you can get. It really sucks when everybody is sick and not feeling well. Hopefully it will all pass quickly.

Becky said...

I hope you are all feeling better now. That stinks. I hate it when everyone gets ill too.