Thursday, February 24, 2011

HR1

I wrote my Senators today. I've never done that before. Sure I used someone's letter and then made it my own, but I still went through the effort. I had to. The House of Representatives passed HR1, and if Senate passes it we'll have a 16% cut in our pay right now. If the President is going to freeze everyone's pay for two years that's fine. If Senate is going to shut down the WHOLE government because they need to then fine. But HR1 only applies to Foreign Service Officers - and only those overseas.

My question is why? Why pick on one of the smallest groups in the U.S. Government? Some of us are serving in expensive countries, some of us are serving in dangerous countries (and yes I understand we get compensation for those specific things, but...) and cutting our pay is going to make a lot of people angry. And if you're cutting pay then there's a chance it will be difficult to get some Officers and their families to go overseas.

I know that a 16% cut in pay is going to hurt in Costa Rica...it is NOT cheap here! So please write to your Senator. Tell them that you'd like them to NOT pass HR1.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Could I please have a copy of that letter, so that I can send it to my senators. I have no faith in them, but still. You never know.

Just US said...

I would love to see your letter too! I keep messing with mine and am just not pleased with it.

Sara said...

Girls, I emailed from work (which I later found out you're not allowed to do), and I didn't send it home to myself. I'm sorry.